On 8 and 9 December 2011, the fifth Annual Conference on the Globalization of Class Actions and Mass Litigation will take place in The Hague.
The special guest speaker is Kenneth Feinberg, administrator of the Gulf Coast Claims Facility and former Special Master of the 9/11 Victims’ Compensation Fund. The conference is being organised by professor Ianika Tzankova of Tilburg University, also a lawyer at NautaDutilh, and professor Deborah Hensler (Stanford University/Tilburg University) and professor Christopher Hodges (Oxford University/Erasmus University).
Discussion topics include:
- the role of mass communication and the media in increasing the scale of procedures
- the influence of financial sources on class action and mass litigation
- the management of mass cases
- the way in which damages are calculated and allocated
- the approach to and jurisdiction in transnational mass tort cases
- future developments and the extent to which class action may enhance access to justice