We counsel clients on energy-transition related transactions, projects, financing, disputes and regulations that impact their business and strategy.
We distinguish ourselves from other law firms with an energy practice by having a dedicated multi-disciplinary legal team comprising of lawyers that are highly specialized in their respective fields and have deep energy sector experience. Our energy sector experience taught our lawyers to speak the language of our clients, build strong personal relationships within the sector and understand the challenges of operating in the transitioning energy sector better than most other lawyers. Our energy practice is focused on transactions with complex regulatory dimensions.
Through our legal expertise and sector knowledge, we know what works and what does not. We know what matters and this enables us to advise our clients in a thorough and practical manner without wasting anybody’s time. The mandates our clients in the energy sector trust us with tend to be complex and multifaceted. Our team can quickly set up and actively manage the required process to gather and identify relevant information from clients, counterparties and across our own practice groups to meet any deadline, whether it is to do a deal or project within the envisaged timeframe or to meet procedural due dates for litigation or permitting.
Adaptive Thinking to help reshape the industry
We embrace the art of adaptive thinking and have an impressive track record for helping clients to complete ground breaking projects, transactions and litigation in the energy sector:
- First successful climate litigation against the Dutch State (Urgenda)
- First private underground high voltage power cable connection (Intergen)
- First project financed IPP power plant in Western Europe (Intergen)
- First European real-time decentralized energy marketplace, supported by blockchain and AI technologies (S&P Global Platts)
- First commercial battery storage in mainland Europe (AES)
- First gas trading exchange in mainland Europe (APX – now ICE)
- First NL underground gas storage in salt caverns (Zuidwending)
- First project financed commercial LNG regas facility in NL (EIB)
- First commercial contract automation project in NL downstream energy sector (Total)
- First large scale CCS demonstration project in Europe (project counsel to the ROAD JV between ENGIE and UNIPER) and advising one of the launching customers of the Porthos CCS project.