The insurance market is dominated by increasing regulation, an ever growing number of claims, mass litigation and (international) consolidations. It is a market that offers space for innovative ideas, but also one that is constantly evolving.
We have many years of experience in most forms of insurance, such as liability policies, credit insurance, construction all-risks policies, real-estate insurance, international programmes, unit-linked insurance, pension insurance and re-insurance. We also have extensive (litigation) experience with respect to business liability including professional, administrative, medical, corporate or product liability. We assist our clients with knowledge and insights that are deeply rooted in the market, either with assertive legal proceedings or innovative advice.
Our lawyers think ahead – in terms of individual cases and sector-wide - through their publications and through actively contributing to opinion-forming within our network of market parties, to jurisprudence, and in the practice of law. Among our clients are insurance companies, re-insurers, brokers agents, professional organisations and national and international corporations.
Among our clients rank insurers, reinsurers, insurance brokers, trade associations, and (inter)national corporations. A selection of examples where our expertise has been of service.
- Representing Dutch/British insurers in a case involving US asbestos claims exceeding 1 billion USD under a liability policy;
- Successful defence conducted for BAT in the Netherlands’ first tobacco case;
- Successful defence conducted for a cosmetics manufacturer in a case involving EUR 14 million claimed in damages on account of alleged product defects;
- Assistance with various EU wide (silent) recalls in the area of product and food deficiency;
- On behalf of fire insurers: advice in relation to the destruction by fire of Philips’ Semiconductors manufacturing plant in Caen (France) in December 2003;
- On behalf of various leading insurance companies: advice on investment insurance products impacting several million consumers in the Netherlands;
- Advice and legal representation in a dispute between insurers and reinsurers after the collapse of a salt mine in Retsof (US);
- Advice on insurance issues after the May 2008 fire at the [Architecture] Faculty of the Technical University of Delft, the Netherlands;
- Advice to various brokers and insurers with respect to changes in the remuneration and distribution structure;
- Advice on Credit finance insurance policies valued at more than EUR 1 billion;
- On behalf of Dutch/British D&O insurers; handling policy claims lodged by unsecured creditors under the liquidation process of LyondellBasell Industries, Chapter 11.