Investment funds active in the Netherlands are subject to financial regulatory law. Clarity about the rules and their interpretation is essential for these funds, their fund managers and asset managers. They need a partner with great regulatory knowledge and experience. NautaDutilh - traditionally known for its strong regulatory expertise - is that partner. We are ranked by all major guides as Tier 1 in relation to regulatory law.
We focus on the needs of the investment management industry, including regulatory advice, fund formation, cross border structuring, listings, asset pooling and asset management arrangements.
As a leading firm in the regulatory area, we are well equipped to assist our fund clients in all related matters, such as AIFMD, UCITS, EMIR, MiFID II / MiFIR, MAR, Benchmark Regulation, Securities Financing Transactions (SFT) Regulation, ELTIF, EuVECA, EuSEF transparency requirements and capital requirements applicable to funds and fund managers.
We have extensive experience in advising both national and international clients on various aspects of the AIFMD. In addition, we are often involved in innovative fund initiatives and new fund transactions in residential mortgages and corporate loan segments. As NautaDutilh is long-standing market leader in the Netherlands in structured finance, this has contributed to our strong presence in the real estate investment funds sector as well.
We assist numerous US, Japanese and other non-European asset managers with their application for a Dutch registration to be authorised to market their funds in the Netherlands under the AIFMD regime.
In addition to fund managers and institutional investors, we assist fund distributors, placement agents and other service providers in respect of their relationships with investment funds.
NautaDutilh unites regulatory experts, specialists in the fields of capital markets, business law and tax advisers from the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Belgium in its Investment Management Group. A multidisciplinary team with complete knowledge in the field of investment management. We also work together closely with the experts from our London and New York offices. Our Private Equity Group also advises our clients on their corporate and leveraged finance transactions.
Our wide range of investment management related services include:
- Setting up and (re)structuring investment institutions, fund formations and other pooling structures, both nationally and cross-border;
- Assisting on the set-up and extension of (innovative) mortgage investment platforms;
- Obtaining all regulatory approvals on acquisitions in which funds are involved;
- Assisting on the admittance of new investors;
- Advising on the impact of existing and future regulatory rules;
- Assisting in filing license applications;
- Assisting on the set-up of investment funds, including drafting all fund documentation;
- Assisting on new (innovative) fund initiatives and related investment structures;
- Supervising investment institution IPOs;
- Negotiating investment management agreements and asset management arrangements;
- Advising national and international investment firms on derivative and repo agreements and collateral arrangements entered into with Dutch investment funds;
- Supporting discussions with the regulatory bodies, both informally and in court; and
- Promoting the interests of market parties in drawing up new regulations, both on a national and on a European level.
A selection of what others say
Up to date on all relevant developments with respect to upcoming laws and regulations regarding the financial services sector, as well as what is boiling within the supervisory authorities (do's and don'ts). Pragmatic and practical legal regulatory advice, accessible to non-lawyers too. Available day and night to address pressing situations.
IFLR1000 | 2019
NautaDutilh’s team has "a good relationship with the regulator and access to all levels" and is "proactive and provides solutions before issues become problems".
The Legal 500 | 2019
Clients praise the "excellent knowledge and practical approach" of the lawyers, who are "pleasant people to work with." Sources commend the lawyers for their "deep knowledge of fund structures and investment activities, including real estate knowledge and tax structuring".
Chambers Europe | 2018
The "highly credible" team at NautaDutilh has "very good legal and business knowledge".
The Legal 500 | 2018