Hydrogen and fuel cell technologies have significant potential to enable the transition to a clean, low-carbon energy system. Our Benelux Hydrogen team helps you to unlock the opportunities that arise in a constantly evolving landscape. In the shift towards the electrification of Europe's economy, our multidisciplinary team oversees the entire spectrum. Our experts advise and litigate on all relevant areas of law, including:
- regulatory (e.g. ETS, health & safety and environmental);
- advisory (e.g. subsidies, tax, ESG contracting and permitting);
- transactions (e.g. real estate, corporate - and project finance and M&A).
Please find more information about the Hydrogen team in our factsheet.
From the 'engineer, built and operate phase' of new infrastructure, to designing new trade and certification models, to evaluating existing hydrogen supply chains and strategies, we are there to help you navigate the constant change.
Our team members regularly share their insights and expertise, for instance during client round table sessions, webinars, in blogs and by participating in public legislative consultations.
Our Hydrogen team
Our Hydrogen team consists of experts with decades of experience in both the traditional and renewable energy and chemical sectors. All are deeply involved in EU and domestic administrative and environmental regulation and enforcement. They are specialists in their fields who closely co-monitor developments in the overarching hydrogen debate. This approach enables them to deliver the pragmatic and up-to-date legal advice relevant for our clients' business operations and partnerships. In doing so, our team not only assesses the risks but also uncovers the vast opportunities that lie ahead of us on our journey towards sustainable change.
The team members are driven to contribute to the energy transition. They work with clients and the wider sector from the conviction that a low-carbon future requires the full support and an active stance from governments, financiers and entire industries. From the belief that as Europe is moving to highest gear in its ambition to get to 'net zero' greenhouse gas emissions by electrifying its economy, there will be a leading role for hydrogen. They see the opportunities that lie in the existing infrastructure and available technical expertise in Belgium and the Netherlands. At the same time, they understand that a growing and developing sector – in many jurisdictions without rules and regulations specifically tailored to hydrogen – comes with complex challenges, new policies and constant change. In this emerging ecosystem, the team delivers value by enabling the new solutions and innovative cooperation to help the sector, and its pioneers, moving forward.
We regularly advise corporate clients and NGOs in the energy and chemicals sectors on a wide range of issues and legal questions relating to hydrogen. Our Regulatory experts advisors and transaction teams work seamlessly together to deliver the best possible outcome for our clients.
- We participated in the public consultation 'Organisation of the Dutch Hydrogen Market' by the Dutch Ministry of Economics and Climate.
- We assisted Nobian with the separation of its green hydrogen business by way of a legal de-merger into a stand-alone company.
- We guided Nobian in setting up a joint-venture with Macquarie's Green Investments Group to form a leading industrial green hydrogen player: the Hydrogen Chemistry Company (HyCC).
- We are advising the HyXchange initiative launched by the Port of Rotterdam, Gasunie and others, which aims at certifying hydrogen in the Netherlands.
- We assisted Vopak in acquiring a stake in Hydrogenious GmbH, a company that produces and sells process-technology equipment for the storage and delivery of hydrogen and energy storage materials.
- We advised as sole joint counsel to Air Liquide, Daimler, Shell, OMV and Total on the H2M initiative on the setting-up of a hydrogen refueling station infrastructure in Germany
Meet the team leadsSee the whole team
What others say
- Gaike Dalenoord is "very good with clients" and has "gravitas" in the market. He is "very smart, commercial and extremely responsive." (Chambers Europe, 2016)
- Clients appreciate Harm Kerstholt's "strategic, commercial and legal support in various projects", adding "It has always been a great comfort to have him on board, not only because of his broad experience and legal expertise, but by the way in which he breaks down complexity, and his highly effective negotiating skills.” (Chambers Europe, 2022). Harm is also listed as one of the 10 most innovative legal practitioners in the 2020 FT Innovative Lawyers Report for his efforts to integrate ESG principles and soft laws into his energy practice.
- Iris Kieft "is a very technical and skilled lawyer” who regularly advises clients on energy and carbon storage related matters. She is widely recognised for her reputation in the planning and environment space. (Chambers Europe, 2022)
- "Very pleasant and commercially astute" Lisa Schoenmakers has been praised for her impressive involvement in complex transactions concerning energy and natural resources, with clients praising that “her hard work is evident as she is capable of delivering under pressure.” (Chambers Europe, 2022)
- We conducted a series of interviews: Agents of change. In which we talk about the role of a law firm in the transition to a sustainable economy and society. Read the interview with Gaike Dalenoord here