Aalt Colenbrander is a member of the Dispute Resolution team at the Amsterdam Office. He advises and litigates on matters relating to arbitration, corporate law, commercial law and insolvency. He is involved in international arbitration proceedings and in complex court proceedings concerning the enforcement and setting aside of arbitral awards. Examples of recent work include:
- several Ukrainian investors in two setting aside proceedings in relation to UNCITRAL arbitral awards rendered against the Russian Federation in investment arbitrations
- Moldova-based investors in enforcement proceedings in relation to an SCC arbitral award rendered against Kazakhstan in an Energy Charter Treaty investment arbitration
In addition, Aalt has advised clients in various corporate and commercial law disputes before the Dutch courts in factual instances, the Dutch Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice.
Prior to joining NautaDutilh’s Dispute Resolution team, Aalt was part of the Corporate M&A team where he advised Dutch and international clients on both national and cross-border mergers, joint-ventures and acquisitions. Notable transactions to which Aalt contributed inter alia include:
- the management buy-out of the Blokker and Big Bazar retail chains by Blokker Holdings' CEO
- the sale of ABN Amro’s escrow and settlement business to Intertrust
- the public offer on BinckBank by Saxo Bank
Aalt completed the Legal Research Master with a focus on corporate law at Utrecht University in 2016 (cum laude) and joined NautaDutilh in the same year. Aalt is a member of the Amsterdam Bar. Before joining the Amsterdam office, Aalt worked in the NautaDutilh New York office for one year where he advised clients on Dutch corporate law as well as in a wide range of finance transactions.