Tanguy de Haan is an IP litigator. His practice focuses on patent, trade mark and design litigation, in particular cross-border disputes and pan-European claims. Tanguy has extensive experience before the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union as well as the Belgian courts.
He received his law degree magna cum laude from the University of Louvain (UCL) in 2000. He is admitted to the Brussels bar and joined NautaDutilh in 2000. In June 2013, Tanguy participated in the Harvard Business School’s IP Strategy Programme.
Tanguy is the chair of the law committee of the Benelux Trademarks and Designs Association (BMM), co-chair of the editorial committee of the French IP association APRAM, and a member of European Patent Lawyers (EPLAW) and the design committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA). He publishes and lectures frequently on IP-related topics and strategies.
He is mentioned in several legal directories:
- Chambers Europe - 2020 edition: "Tanguy de Haan is a well-regarded presence within the Belgian IP market, described by one client as a "very experienced lawyer who is easy to work with."; 2019 edition: "Interviewees underline that he is "very bright, dedicated and leaves no stone unturned." Other sources acknowledge him for being "very knowledgeable and good in trials."
- Pritchard’s Legal 500 - 2020 edition: "A brilliant IP litigator who combines superb legal knowledge with a commercial perspective";
- World Trademark Review - 2021 edition: "[...] gentlemanly lawyers who do not shy away from difficult litigation”, “a walking encyclopaedia of extensive case law”; 2020 edition: "The incredibly bright litigator Tanguy de Haan “has an extraordinary track record and always develops the right strategy for his clients";
- IAM Patent 1000 - 2020 edition: "[...] has the coordination of cross-border and pan-European disputes down to a fine art.";
- Who's Who Legal ranked Tanguy as a "Global Leader" in Trademarks in 2020;
- In 2012, Tanguy won the ILO Client Choice Award for EU litigation.
Tanguy is fluent in English, French and Dutch and has a passive knowledge of German.