Joost den Engelsman Partner
Joost den Engelsman, co-chair of NautaDutilh's Private Equity Team, is a corporate lawyer with over 20 years of experience focusing on M&A work, notably cross-border. Joost takes a special interest in private equity related transactions and has been involved in a wide variety of transactions including share and asset transactions, leveraged buy-outs and corporate finance transactions for financial sponsors, corporate clients and founders/management teams. Joost has a particular proficiency in leading auction sale processes.
Joost’s experience includes advising:
- Astorg on its investment in Normec;
- a consortium led by Advent and Cinven on its acquisition of thyssenkrupp's elevator business;
- BC Partners on its investment in Synthon Generics;
- Levine Leichtman Capital Partners on its investments in ZorgDomein, Squla, SK AeroSafety, SiPM, RoboPharma and NMi and Triskelion;
- Royal Dutch Railways (NS) on the international auction sale of bus and tram transport company Qbuzz to Busitalia;
- The Carlyle Group on its investment in Hunkemöller;
- PZEM (previously Delta) on the auction sale processes of its regulated grid operating company Enduris to Stedin Holding, of its retail and multimedia business to EQT Infrastructure, and of its wind and solar business to Eneco; and
- on Basic-Fit's IPO.
What others say
Clients say ‘Joost den Engelsman is a star partner. He is hands on, commercial and always available. He also has a team of top associates that work with him on all PE deals.’ (The Legal500, 2022).
Joost is rated as "Highly regarded" in the 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018 editions of the IFLR1000 and is ranked by Chambers Europe and Chambers Global in 2020.
'He focusses on getting the deal to the finish line, even on tight deadlines. He is fully in tune with what is on the market at the relevant time.' (IFLR1000, 2020)
'He has good business acumen and industry knowledge and is an excellent negotiator' .(IFLR1000, 2020)
Joost is described by clients as a "sympathetic and smart" lawyer who "brings added value to the table and thinks one step ahead". (Chambers Europe & Global, 2019)
‘Joost den Engelsman is a true partner to clients – he has a strong commercial mindset, delivering transactions in a pragmatic and efficient manner (with a good view on risks) as well as supporting clients through network of industry relationships'. (The Legal 500, 2020)
'Excellent at negotiating'. (Chambers Europe & Global &, 2020)
Joost does "a great job of walking clients through market practices". (Chambers Europe & Global, 2020)