Stef Feyen Counsel
Stef Feyen is an attorney passionate about public law.
He combines an in-depth knowledge of public law, obtained through years of international, both academic and practical experience, with a solution-oriented and pragmatic approach. Stef enjoys challenges and is especially skilled in thinking outside of the box, all the while aware and conscious of which arguments, strategies and approaches may track and are likely to succeed.
Stef advises clients, assists them in complex transactions and defends their interests in public and civil courts alike. He has a particular expertise and extended experience in public contracts. Stef is also well versed in energy, sustainability and environmental law, and has broad skills in the fields of administrative and regulatory practice. He has a particular interest in the healthcare and defence sectors, but makes it his business to grasp and understand the fundamental dynamics of any market he deals with.
Some recent highlights in his work include:
- defending the Ghelamco Group's interests in major public contract litigation pending before the courts, in order to save to the Eurostadium project;
- assisting Fedasil in brokering several deals with private entities aiming to provide shelter to applicants for international protection;
- advising Engie Electrabel with respect to the Belgian (capacity) mechanism, aiming to safeguard the security of supply, as well as on the permitting strategy for its new Vilvorde CCGT project;
- counseling Bionerga both on the development of a heat net and on the (public and private) transactions with its heat customers aiming to settle to reinvigorate the regional economy;
- assisting the Altrio group – one of the fastest growing home nurse practices – in navigating the healthcare landscape in order to foster growth and cooperation.
Stef holds two degrees from KULeuven (2009) and is a graduate from Harvard Law School (2010). During his doctoral studies in public law, Stef published prolifically, conducted research and taught in Europe and in the US (2014-17), especially on judicial decision-making processes. Stef remains affiliated to several universities (eg Université Saint-Louis and KULeuven) to stay in tune with cutting edge legal developments. Stef continues to author publications and often speaks or lectures on topics such as public contracts and energy law.