Richard Hansen is a Senior Associate in NautaDutilh's Amsterdam Dispute Resolution practice, where he acts as counsel in arbitrations and arbitration-related court proceedings, such as enforcement proceedings and setting aside proceedings. He is a dual-qualified lawyer (Netherlands and U.S.) and uses his combined common and civil law background to his clients' benefit in advising on arbitral proceedings and (Dutch) arbitration law.
- U.S. energy company: advising in setting aside proceedings initiated by the Republic of Ecuador regarding arbitral awards rendered on the basis of a bilateral investment treaty
- African investment vehicle company of a U.S. parent: advising in arbitral proceedings at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague under a bilateral investment treaty
- U.S.-based investor: advising in Dutch setting aside proceedings in relation to arbitral awards rendered against the Republic of Ecuador in an investment arbitration
- Canada-based mining corporation: advising in Dutch setting aside proceedings in relation to arbitral awards rendered against the host State in an investment arbitration
- Italian energy company: advising in a gas price revision arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules against a Dutch gas provider
- Holding company: advising in ICC emergency arbitration proceedings and related summary proceedings before the Dutch courts in a shareholders' dispute
More about Richard
Richard holds a Juris Doctor from Rutgers School of Law-Newark and a Master of Laws (International and European Law (EU Law)) from the University of Amsterdam. He obtained his undergraduate degrees in Secondary Education (Social Studies, with minors in Political Science and History) from the Pennsylvania State University and in Dutch Law from the Open University in the Netherlands. Richard was admitted to the Dutch bar in 2015. Prior to admission in the Netherlands, Richard had already been admitted to the New York and New Jersey bars, as well as in front of various U.S. District Courts. He is a native English speaker and speaks fluent Dutch, as well as some Spanish.
Richard started his career at NautaDutilh in 2013, worked at the Amsterdam branch of a London-based multinational firm during 2019-2021, and returned to NautaDutilh in 2021.
Richard is Country Reporter for the Netherlands on the Institute for Transnational Arbitration's Board of Reporters.
His other publications include:
- G.J. Meijer & R.H. Hansen, "Arbitration and financial services", in: N. Dorn (ed.), Controlling capital: public and private regulation of financial markets, Oxon: Routledge 2016;
- G.J. Meijer & R.H. Hansen, "Arbitration Clauses for International Financial Disputes", in: J. Golden & C. Lamm (eds.), International Financial Disputes, Oxford: Oxford University Press 2015; and
- W.J.L. Calkoen & R.H Hansen, "Spoedarbitrages", in: A.M. Boot, F.G.K. Overkleeft & F.E. Vermeulen (eds.), Wie is de Mol?: Liber Amicorum Harmen de Mol van Otterloo, Oisterwijk: WLP 2014.