Mirjam van de Hel - Koedoot Partner
Mirjam van de Hel - Koedoot is a partner in NautaDutilh's Litigation & Arbitration practice group and co-heads the international arbitration team. She specialises in international arbitration and arbitration-related court proceedings. Mirjam has extensive experience acting as counsel in commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under a variety of arbitration rules. She also regularly acts in complex court proceedings concerning the enforcement and setting aside of arbitral awards, especially relating to disputes involving bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
Mirjam graduated from Leiden University in 2001 and was admitted to the Bar in the same year. She also studied at the Institut d'études politiques in Paris and the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Before joining NautaDutilh in 2009, she practised law at a major Dutch law firm and at an international arbitration boutique law firm in Brussels.
Examples of Mirjam's work include representing and advising:
- an oil & gas company in setting aside proceedings in relation to an UNCITRAL arbitral award rendered against the Republic of Ecuador in an investment arbitration;
- Ukrainian investors in three setting aside proceedings in relation to UNCITRAL arbitral awards rendered against the Russian Federation in investment arbitrations;
- a top holding in ICC arbitration proceedings and related summary proceedings in a shareholder dispute;
- a Dutch oil production company in an ICC arbitration against an Italian construction company relating to a dispute regarding the construction of a diesel plant;
- a Dutch investor in an investment arbitration against the Czech Republic under the Netherlands-Czech Republic BIT;
- Moldova-based investors in enforcement proceedings in relation to an SCC arbitral award rendered against Kazakhstan in an Energy Charter Treaty investment arbitration;
- a Canadian mining company in setting aside proceedings in relation to an UNCITRAL arbitral award rendered against the Republic of Ecuador in an investment arbitration;
- an Italian energy company against a Dutch gas provider in an ICC multi-billion gas price revision arbitration;
- a Dutch insurance company in its multi-billion euro investment arbitration claim against the Republic of Poland regarding its investment in PZU;
According to clients in the Legal 500 (2021), Mirjam has a 'complete mastery of Dutch arbitration law and a low-key but highly effective style in presenting arguments to the court.'
Mirjam frequently presents and publishes on various aspects of (international) arbitration and civil procedural law. She is, among other things, co-author of the standard textbook on Dutch civil procedural law as well as a contributor to the Guide to the NAI Arbitration Rules (including a commentary on Dutch Arbitration Law).