Mirjam van de Hel - Koedoot is associate partner in NautaDutilh's Litigation & Arbitration practice group and specialises in international arbitration and litigation. Mirjam advises and acts in commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under a variety of arbitration rules. She also regularly acts in complex court proceedings concerning the enforcement and setting aside of arbitral awards, especially relating to disputes involving bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
Mirjam graduated from Leiden University in 2001 and was admitted to the Bar in the same year. She also studied at the Institut d'études politiques in Paris and the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Before joining NautaDutilh in 2009, she practised law at a major Dutch law firm and at an international arbitration boutique law firm in Brussels.
Examples of Mirjam's work include representing and advising:
- an oil & gas company in setting aside proceedings in relation to an UNCITRAL arbitral award rendered against the Republic of Ecuador in an investment arbitration;
- several Ukrainian investors in two setting aside proceedings in relation to UNCITRAL arbitral awards rendered against the Russian Federation in investment arbitrations;
- a top holding in ICC arbitration proceedings and related summary proceedings in a shareholder dispute;
- a Dutch oil production company in an ICC arbitration against an Italian construction company relating to a dispute regarding the construction of a diesel plant;
- a Dutch investor in an investment arbitration against the Czech Republic under the Netherlands-Czech Republic BIT;
- Moldova-based investors in enforcement proceedings in relation to an SCC arbitral award rendered against Kazakhstan in an Energy Charter Treaty investment arbitration;
- a Canadian mining company in setting aside proceedings in relation to an UNCITRAL arbitral award rendered against the Republic of Ecuador in an investment arbitration;
- an Italian energy company against a Dutch gas provider in an ICC multi-billion gas price revision arbitration;
- a Dutch insurance company in its multi-billion euro investment arbitration claim against the Republic of Poland regarding its investment in PZU;
Mirjam frequently presents and publishes on various aspects of (international) arbitration and civil procedural law. She is, among other things, co-author of the standard textbook on Dutch civil procedural law as well as a contributor to a Guide to the NAI Arbitration Rules (including a commentary on Dutch Arbitration Law).