Jochem Hummelen (LLM. PhD) is a lawyer in the NautaDutilh Dispute Resolution department and specializes in litigation and arbitration with a focus on bankruptcy, enforcement litigation and complex commercial disputes. He has represented a diverse range of national and international clients in high value matters and has ample experience in complex, cross-border litigations, arbitrations and bankruptcies.
Recent experience includes:
- acting as counsel for two Moldovan investors in the enforcement of a USD 500 million+ arbitral award against the Republic of Kazakhstan, resulting in a multibillion dollar asset freeze;
- representing the Municipality of Amsterdam in landmark litigation against the bankruptcy trustees in the largest hospital bankruptcy in the Netherlands;
- representing an internationally operating bank in NAI arbitration proceedings against a foreign bank;
- representing an Asian company in SIAC arbitration proceedings against another Asian company in a joint venture dispute;
- assisting several internationally operating retail chains in the winding down of their activities in the Netherlands;
- representing a subsidiary of GE Capital in complex litigation before the Amsterdam Court of Appeals and Supreme Court on the winding up of an investment portfolio of one of its former high net worth clients;
- representing the Australian multinational Spicers Group (formerly: PaperlinX Group) in the winding up of their activities in the Netherlands.
Jochem obtained his LL.M. cum laude from the University of Groningen in 2010 and his PhD from the same university in 2015. He is a member of INSOL Europe and was inducted into the International Insolvency Institute NextGen Leadership Program at the III conference in Mexico in 2014. Jochem is also a member of the Netherlands Arbitration Institute Young Members section, ICC YAF and Young ICSID. In addition, Jochem is a contributor to the authoritative commentary on the Dutch Bankruptcy Act and he regularly publishes on issues of commercial law and bankruptcy law.
In 2019, Jochem was the first to manage the NautaDutilh Litigation & Arbitration Desk at NautaDutilh's New York office.
Jochem is admitted to the Amsterdam Bar and is part of NautaDutilh's LGBT+ Affinity Group 'ND Globe'.