Kasper J. Krzeminski (Prof. Dr.) is partner in NautaDutilh's Litigation & Arbitration practice group. He specialises in the resolution of commercial and contractual disputes. Kasper represents his clients in international and domestic arbitration, court litigation and ADR.
Kasper assists clients in a wide range of industries, including energy & natural resources, offshore, finance and construction. His clients include banks and financial institutions, oil & gas majors, energy companies, as well as companies in the shipbuilding, aviation and engineering industries. Kasper is particularly experienced in the area of post-M&A and joint venture disputes, construction and shipbuilding projects, multi-jurisdictional debt recovery, the enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign money judgments, and discovery proceedings.
Matters that Kasper has recently handled, include:
- Representing Moldovan investors in Dutch enforcement proceedings in relation to an USD 535 million SCC arbitral award against the Republic of Kazakhstan under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Defending an engineering company in international arbitration proceedings (NAI Rules) against delay and disruption claims in relation to construction project.
- Assisting a Dutch oil major in successful mediation in respect of a multi-million bio-ethanol trade dispute.
- Representing a U.S. telecom provider in relation to the recognition and enforcement of U.S. judgments in the Netherlands for the recovery of a USD 2.1 billion damages award.
- Acting as counsel in binding advice proceedings regarding international high-speed rail services contracts.
- Assisting an Italian shipbuilding company in connection with the multi-jurisdictional enforcement of a LMAA arbitral award.
- Representing a Dutch energy company in court proceedings against the Dutch State regarding discriminatory allocation of electricity import capacity.
- Advising a class of U.S. claimants on a multi-jurisdictional enforcement strategy with respect to a U.S. multi-billion damages award.
- Representing Gazprombank in Dutch court proceedings for the recognition of Russian judgments in the Netherlands, which resulted in a leading precedent of the Dutch Supreme Court (HR 26 September 2014, ECLI:NL:HR:2014:2838).
- Assisting European gas majors in relation to the termination of a joint venture for the construction of a cross-border gas pipeline.
- Representing the Dutch aviation industry in a multi-billion euro arbitration on the co-financing of the system development and demonstration phase of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter project.
- Assisting major banks in numerous matters involving enforcement of security rights, attachment of assets, ships arrests and cargo claims.
Alongside his legal practice, Kasper is Professor of Enforcement and Attachment Law at the University of Amsterdam School of Law.
He frequently publishes on topics in the field of cross-border litigation, arbitration and Dutch property law. He is, amongst other things, co-author of the authoritative textbook on Dutch security rights (Asser 3-VI Zekerheidsrechten) and regular contributor to the WPNR Law Review. Kasper has authored various commentaries on cross-border litigation in the Netherlands (including Juris Publishing's Enforcement of Money Judgments & Attachment of Assets) and the Brussel I-bis Regulation (Tekst & Commentaar Burgerlijke Rechtsvordering).
Kasper graduated from Erasmus University Rotterdam in 2005. He holds a Masters' degree in Dutch private law and Dutch business law. In 2006, Kasper obtained his LL.M. degree from New York University School of Law. He joined NautaDutilh in the same year. In 2013, Kasper obtained his Doctorate (cum laude) at Erasmus University Rotterdam with a dissertation on repledge of collateral. Kasper became partner in 2017.
Kasper is admitted to both the Rotterdam Bar (2006) and the New York Bar (2007).
What others say
- ‘Kasper Krzeminski is dedicated to his client’s needs and will go the extra mile to ensure that he knows his case, his opponents and the tribunal well’ - The Legal500 (2022)
- 'Strong Dutch lawyer. Kasper stands out' - The Legal500 (2021)
- 'He combines an excellent understanding of the legal side of things with the ability to grasp the particularities of cases. He finds the right balance between listening to the customer and building on his own vision and experience. Kasper is able to manage the case from a process and content perspective. He is extremely responsive.' - The Legal500 (2020)
- 'Kasper is an excellent lawyer, who is willing to go the extra mile to get the best result. A thorough lawyer with an outstanding skill set.' - The Legal500 (2020)