Philippe Péters specialises in intellectual property and information technology. He has significant experience in trademark, copyright, patent, IT and commercial litigation. He is also active in drafting and negotiating contracts in these areas of law.
Philippe graduated from the University of Leuven (KUL) in 1980. He was called to the Brussels Bar that same year. In 1985, he worked in the telecommunications department of a large New York law firm for six months. Philippe joined NautaDutilh as a partner in 1994. Philippe is a member of various international IP associations and a former president of both the Belgian Computer Law Association and the Standing Committee on Intellectual Property and New Technologies of the Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats.
Philippe taught IT law at the Haute Ecole Commerciale Saint-Louis for eight years and has been a deputy judge in Brussels since 1988. He is the co-author of a textbook and has published various articles on computer law.
Together with Jean-Jo Evrard, he co-authored a (Belgian) treatise on Benelux trademark law, published in 1996 and reissued in 2000.
He has published several articles and has given lectures on IP law in and outside Belgium.
Philippe is mentioned in:
- Chambers - 2022 edition: "Philippe Péters is well known for his considerable experience advising clients on trade mark defence matters."; 2021 edition: Philippe was named Senior Statespeople with the following mention: "A client stresses his "concise and to-the-point way of advising."; 2020 edition: "Philippe Péters is described by a market commentator as "of a high level and very knowledgeable" and as one of the "trade mark experts."; 2019 edition: "Philippe Péters is hailed by one source as "a brilliant lawyer," while another interviewee describes him as "a big name in the IP world with considerable litigation experience."
- Pritchard's Legal 500 named Philippe to the Hall of Fame for Intellectual Property in 2020, which highlights those who are at the pinnacle of the profession;
- World Trademark Review - 2022 edition: "One of the most established names in the country”, Péters is “a true gentleman, an incredible litigator and a master of trademark law”; 2021 edition: "[...] “gentlemanly lawyers who do not shy away from difficult litigation”; 2020 edition: "Head of the team Péters “is a real gentleman with an encyclopaedic knowledge of trademark law; you would do well to find a better IP litigator in Belgium”.
- IAM Patent 1000 - 2021 edition: "Philippe Péters draws on his encyclopaedic understanding of IP law to lend insight on both patent disputes and licensing matters."; 2020 edition: "A font of wisdom at the firm, Philippe Péters has spent almost four decades bringing fraught disputes and licensing negotiations to a fruitful close."
- Who's Who Legal ranked Philippe as a "Global Leader" in Trademarks in 2020.