Ruud Smits focuses on M&A work, advising on a wide variety of corporate transactions including public offers, share and asset transactions, LBOs, venture capital investments, auction sales, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. Ruud spent 5 years (2011 - 2016) heading the corporate practice of NautaDutilh's New York office.
Ruud co-heads NautaDutilh's Life Sciences and Technology teams.
Representative transactions include assisting:
- Sansei Technologies in its acquisition of Vekoma Rides
- Uber in its Joint Ventures with Yandex Taxi and Grab
- ParkBee in its seed and Series A Rounds
- BAMTech in its acquisition of The Capitals B.V.
- Complete Innovations / Fleet Complete on its acquisition of ITmobile
- Amazon.com in its acquisition of Liquavista B.V. from Samsung
- Intel Corporation in its EUR 3.3 billion strategic investment in ASML Holding N.V.
- Integrated Device Technology, Inc. in its acquisition of NXP's high speed data converter business
- The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. in its acquisition of BWise
- Vodafone in its EUR 120 million acquisition of telecom retailer BelCompany B.V.
- PE house NPM Capital in its 50% participation in e-tailer bol.com
- Fysicon in its acquisition by Canon Medical Systems Corporation
- Fortissimo Capital in its investment in Solynta
- Beaver - Visitec in its acquisition of Vitreq
- Johnson & Johnson Innovation in its investment in Caelus Pharmaceuticals
- Acerta Pharma B.V. with the sale of 55% of the entire issued share capital of Acerta to AstraZeneca for unconditional payments of USD 4 billion
- Kester Capital in its investment in Factory CRO
- Dezima Pharma in its USD 1.5 billion acquisition by Amgen
- Kite Pharma Inc. with the acquisition of T-Cell Factory B.V.
- VarmX and Amylon Therapeutics in their seed rounds
- WeWork in its multibillion dollar investment by SoftBank
- Playa Hotels & Resorts in its reverse merger with a TPG backed SPAC and US listing
- The Catalyst Group in is divestment of Geneba Properties N.V.
- Advantage Smollan in its acquisition of Hamilton Bright Group B.V.
- Charlesbank Capital Partners in its acquisition of Polyconcept
- AerCap in its USD 5 billion acquisition of ILFC from American International Group, Inc.
- Dutch Railways in its EUR 345 million sale of international construction company Strukton
Ruud graduated from Maastricht University in 2001 and he has completed the Grotius Academy specialization course on Securities in 2007.
Ruud is ranked in Chambers Global 2014 as Corporate/M&A Foreign Expert for the Netherlands (USA). "Communicative " Ruud Smits "is praised for his pragmatic and responsive approach" - Chambers Global