Jaap Jan has more than 25 years' experience in various industries, including financials, telecoms, entertainment, retail, logistics, infrastructure and energy & natural resources. He combines his extensive experience in M&A and corporate work for domestic and international clients with a sharp focus on the energy sector. In this sector he advises both domestic and international clients such as financial and strategic investors, oil & gas majors, trading companies, and wholesale consumers on transactions.
In 2017, Jaap Jan became managing partner of NautaDutilh. Next to that, he co-heads the energy and natural resources group as well as the firm's Japan desk and the China desk. He practised in Spain, Singapore, Indonesia and the Netherlands.
- Advising Discover Exploration, which is part of the Carlyle Group, on its acquisition of Hansa Hydrocarbons.
- Advising Centrica on the formation of a joint venture with Bayerngas Norge, tank storage, renewables, oil & gas upstream and midstream sector.
What others say
- Jaap Jan is rated as "Expert Consultant" in the 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018 editions of the IFLR1000 and as "Leading Individual" in the 2020, 2019 and 2018 editions of The Legal 500. In 2020, 2019 and 2018 he was also ranked by Chambers Europe. Who's Who Legal ranked Jaap Jan as a "Global Leader" in Energy in 2020
- Jaap Jan Trommel regularly acts for international corporates on acquisitions, divestments and joint ventures in the oil and gas and renewable energy sectors. (Chambers Europe, 2019).
- "Highly experienced" (Legal 500, 2019).
- "Proactive and commercially focused active" (Legal 500, 2019)
- Jaap Jan Trommel is noted for his oil and gas expertise, with clients appreciating his "technical knowledge and business acumen." (Chambers Europe, 2018).
- Clients say: "He is very pragmatic, hands-on and one of the best lawyers I've worked with." (Chambers Europe, 2017).
More about Jaap Jan
Jaap Jan is a contributor to the annual World Bank publication Doing Business: understanding regulation. In 1985, Jaap Jan graduated from Utrecht University and in 1986 he obtained a postgraduate degree in international law from Vrije Universiteit Brussel (cum laude). In 2011, he completed the postgraduate course in Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Law at the VU University Amsterdam.