Florence Verhoestraete has practiced intellectual property law since 1994, with a focus on patents, trade secrets, trade marks and unfair competition.
She represents clients in the life sciences, food and consumer goods sectors, amongst others, ranging from start-ups to large multinationals and research centres.
Florence has both extensive litigation and transactional experience (including assisting with complex financing and corporate matters in which IP is key) as well as a thorough understanding of regulatory issues, in particular in the food and life sciences sectors.
She co-heads NautaDutilh's life sciences sector team and is a member of the European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW), Licensing Executive Society (LES), International Trademark Association (INTA), the European Food Law Association (EFLA) and the Beneluxvereniging voor Merken- en Modellenrecht (BMM). Florence also serves on the INTA Bulletin Committee and the editorial board of the BMM Bulletin, the leading Benelux journal for trademarks and designs. She publishes and speaks regularly on selected IP-related topics.
Florence is mentioned in:
- Chambers & Partners - 2018 edition: "Florence Verhoestraete advises clients from the technology, pharmaceutical and manufacturing sectors on patent and trade mark litigation as well counterfeit product concerns, both in Belgium and across Europe. She offers additional support preparing licence agreements";
- Pritchard's Legal 500 - 2018 edition: "Florence Verhoestraete focuses her practice on the food, consumer goods and life sciences sectors", (recommended in 2018, 2017);
- IAM Patent 1000 - 2018 edition: "In litigation, it's always more fun to have a good opponent and Florence Verhoestraete is exactly that. She's a great litigator whose talents enable her to dictate the issues on which a case will be fought."; 2017 edition: "Heading the life sciences team is Florence Verhoestraete, a discerning counsellor and savvy enforcer";
- WTR - 2018 edition: "the other foundation stone of the practice", "a commercially aware and solutions-driven professional, with a great deal of IP experience. She is very impressive in trial: understated but convincing, she has the ear of the court when arguing and is a well-respected opponent. Verhoestraete is always prepared and goes into great depth"; 2017 edition: "a 'fabulous attorney' who earns glowing reports from some of the best in the business";
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars - 2020, 2018, 2017, 2016 ranked in the Top 250 Women in IP.