Joost Italianer specializes in criminal law, compliance and banking and securities law. He has extensive experience in the field of market abuse, compliance and related issues. Joost is involved in internal investigations on a regular basis, and acts on behalf of leading banks, financial institutions and individuals in the financial sector.
Representative matters include:
- Represented a former CEO of a listed multinational company in a landmark insider trading case
- Negotiated a settlement in a criminal case for a multinational client in the food industry related to an accounting scandal which drew international attention
- Negotiated the largest settlement in a criminal case to date on behalf of a Dutch broadcasting company
- Advised a major Dutch bank on negotiations with US regulators
- Represented a major airline in criminal investigations relating to an accident abroad
- Conducted a large internal investigation for a major Dutch bank
- Represents several major accounting firms on fraud related issues and criminal investigations
Joost joined NautaDutilh in 1983 and was named partner in 1991. He frequently lectures on market abuse and compliance related topics and contributes to leading publications in this field.
Joost is a Member of the Capital Market Advisory Committee of the Authority for the Financial Markets and acts as a Deputy Judge at the Haarlem Criminal Court. He is a lecturer at the postgraduate Corporate Compliance Programme of the Free University of Amsterdam and Member of the Board of Governors of this Programme. Joost also participates as a judge at the Disciplinary Court of Appeals of the Dutch Bar Association and is a Boardmember of Lawyers for Lawyers Foundation (L4L), which helps lawyers worldwide who are prosecuted for practising their profession.