Kasper J. Krzeminski is partner in NautaDutilh's Litigation & Arbitration practice group. He specializes in the resolution of commercial and contractual disputes. Kasper represents his clients in international and domestic arbitration, court litigation and ADR.
Kasper advises and represents Dutch and international clients in a wide range of industries, including finance, energy & natural resources, international trade and construction. His clients include banks and financial institutions, oil & gas majors, energy companies, as well as companies in the shipbuilding, offshore and aviation industries.
Kasper is particularly experienced in the area of post-M&A disputes, construction and shipbuilding projects, multi-jurisdictional debt recovery, the enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign money judgments, and discovery proceedings.
Matters that Kasper has recently handled include:
- Representing Moldovan investors in Dutch enforcement proceedings in relation to an USD 535 million SCC arbitral award against the Republic of Kazakhstan under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Defending an engineering company in international arbitration proceedings (NAI Rules) against delay and disruption claims in relation to construction project.
- Assisting a Dutch oil major in successful mediation in respect of a multi-million bio-ethanol trade dispute.
- Representing a U.S. telecom provider in relation to the recognition and enforcement of U.S. judgments in the Netherlands for the recovery of a USD 2.1 billion damages award.
- Acting as counsel in binding advice proceedings regarding international high-speed rail services contracts.
- Assisting an Italian shipbuilding company in connection with the multi-jurisdictional enforcement of a LMAA arbitral award.
- Representing a Dutch energy company in court proceedings against the Dutch State regarding discriminatory allocation of electricity import capacity.
- Advising a class of U.S. claimants on a multi-jurisdictional enforcement strategy with respect to a U.S. multi-billion damages award.
- Representing Gazprombank in Dutch court proceedings for the recognition of Russian judgments in the Netherlands, which resulted in a leading precedent of the Dutch Supreme Court (HR 26 September 2014, ECLI:NL:HR:2014:2838).
- Assisting European gas majors in relation to the termination of a joint venture for the construction of a cross-border gas pipeline.
- Representing the Dutch aviation industry in a multi-billion euro arbitration on the co-financing of the system development and demonstration phase of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter project.
- Assisting major banks in numerous matters involving enforcement of security rights, attachment of assets, ships arrests and cargo claims.
Kasper graduated from Erasmus University Rotterdam in 2005. He holds a Masters' degree in Dutch private law and Dutch business law. In 2006, Kasper obtained his LL.M. degree from New York University School of Law. He joined NautaDutilh in the same year. In 2013, Kasper obtained his Doctorate (cum laude) at Erasmus University Rotterdam with a dissertation on repledge of collateral. Kasper became partner in 2017.
Kasper is admitted to both the Rotterdam Bar (2006) and the New York Bar (2007).
Alongside his legal practice, Kasper frequently publishes on topics in the field of arbitration, cross-border litigation and Dutch property law. He is, amongst other things, co-author of the authoritative textbook on Dutch security rights (Asser 3-VI Zekerheidsrechten) and regular contributor to the WPNR Law Review. Kasper has authored various commentaries on cross-border litigation in the Netherlands (including Juris Publishing's Enforcement of Money Judgments & Attachment of Assets) and the Brussel I-bis Regulation (Tekst & Commentaar Burgerlijke Rechtsvordering). In addition, Kasper regularly lectures to fellow legal practitioners, clients and university students. He is lecturer at the Erasmus University Rotterdam School of Law and the Grotius Academy.