Marketing, know-how and innovation have become determining factors for a company’s success. Protecting and maintaining intellectual property (IP) is essential. For many companies, success and growth may be dependant on their intellectual property and innovation strategy.
Our Intellectual Property team works nationally and internationally, both at a Benelux and a European level. We work together with the global specialists in our network, which spans Europe, the U.S. and Asia. We frequently represent clients in the national courts in the Benelux and at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg. We apply customs and excise litigation procedures in order to prevent the importation of infringing goods.
NautaDutilh works for a wide range of corporations and institutions in many sectors. Our spectrum of clients ranges from leading multinationals to innovative start-ups, covering such areas as consumer goods (e.g. luxury articles, fashion and food & drink) and the life sciences industry (e.g. medicines, medical aids, biotechnical products and healthcare). In addition, NautaDutilh is very active in the telecom, electronics and entertainment sectors.
NautaDutilh advises and represents national and international clients on intellectual property matters. The types of cases we handle include:
- Transactions (licences, pledges, transfers, listing, mergers and acquisitions)
- Know-how/Corporate secrets
- Counterfeiting and piracy
In the case of mergers, acquisitions and listings, we vet the validity and advise as to the transfer of intellectual property rights. We are also regularly involved in partnering, licence programmes, IP structuring and security.
NautaDutilh’s IP team:
- Argued successfully for LEGO on withdrawing an infringing Chinese toy from the market;
- Advised an innovative Dutch company in relation to a multi-million euro order with one of the world’s biggest shipbuilding companies;
- assisted a multinational distiller in a complex parallel import case before the Supreme Court of the Netherlands;
- Conducted a successful defence on behalf of raw materials importers in proceedings in the EU Court of Justice concerning a DNA patent;
- Has acted in various patent proceedings covering such areas as milking robots, medicines, stents, electronic programme guides and telecommunications networks;
- Assists brand and patent holders with monitoring and enforcement programmes; and
- Represents the biggest Internet service provider in the Netherlands in proceedings concerning blocking file-sharing websites such as The Pirate Bay.